The Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) is the principal teaching affiliate of the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy. Medical students, residents, and fellows train at our facility. The selected candidate must also be eligible for an appointment with the University of Arizona. The SAVAHCS is a tertiary care facility providing a full range of clinical services including cardiac surgery and neurosurgery. The SAVAHCS is a flagship quality provider within the VA and was a 2012 winner of the prestigious Robert W. Carey Performance Excellence Award.
As a staff primary care physician within the Agave Clinic, you will provide comprehensive medical care to a panel of adult patients, from young adult to elderly, with co-occurring severe mental illness. You will work with an integrated, multi-disciplinary healthcare team which includes psychiatry that shares responsibility for comprehensive medical and mental health care with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention.
* Serve as a primary care staff physician in a busy, dynamic, community outpatient primary care clinic affiliated with the Mental Health Care Line.
* Provide comprehensive care to a panel of adult patients, from young adult to elderly with co-occurring mental illness.
* Provide care to optimize patient health, work seamlessly with other health care team members and support patient satisfaction initiatives.
* Contribute to the achievement of quality care standards, write orders for diagnostic testing, prescribe medications, consult with specialty services and utilize computerized/electronic medical records.
* Provide patient care in accordance with professional standards, core values and commitment to service excellence.
* Board Certified or Board Eligible in Internal Medicine or Family Practice.
Clinical contact: Dr. Lucretia L. Vaughan, (520) 629-1792 or e-mail
15 days military leave per year for active reservists and National Guard
Health and Life Insurance (may elect coverage into retirement)
Pay for performance up toan amount equal to 7.5% of annual pay up to $15,000
Authorized Absence for Continuing Medical Education Liability protection
Federal Employee Retirement
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP-tax deferred savings plan)
1. Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
2. Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
3. Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
4. Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to physically and mentally perform the duties of Primary Care provider in an outpatient setting under normal and emergent conditions.Light lifting, up to 15 pounds,light carrying ofless than 15 pounds; reaching above shoulder;both hands required; straight pulling up to 2 hours per day; pushing up to 2 hours per day;near vision or far vision correctable; hearing aid permitted.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes: (Please note that applicants who fail to submit all required documents will not be considered for this position.)
2. Responses to the questionnaire
3. If claiming Veterans Preference, you must include a copy of your DD-214. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form.
To change or update your application, simply reapply through My USAJOBS, before the closing date. To check the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), select Application Status and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1983518.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.