To be fully engaged in providing Quality/No Harm, Customer Experience, and Stewardship by providing legal counsel and support to Health First, Inc. and its affiliated entities ("Health First"). The Senior Counsel (the "Attorney") is responsible for providing superior quality, competitive value, and outstanding service by giving legal support and assistance to the legal department, medical staff leadership, health plan, and hospital executives. The Attorney will advise and counsel regarding transactional matters, including negotiating, drafting, and interpreting contracts.
- The Attorney will also interpret and consult on state and federal healthcare laws and regulations. The Attorney will act as the primary legal liaison to the Compliance Department. In this role, the Attorney will report to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel as requested on all legal matters regarding Health First.
- The Attorney manages and serves as a legal advisor and consultant regarding business, health care regulatory, HIPAA, federal and state physician self-referral laws, hospital, medical group, compliance, managed care, billing, and administrative issues in coordination with other legal counsel and paralegals within the Legal Department.
- This position is expected to confer with and update the VP / Deputy General Counsel on all activities within the business group, act independently in the management of projects, supervise others working on business transactions for the hospital(s), medical group, advise hospital leadership, advise on all HIPAA matters for the IDN, serve as a resource for resolving complex medical/legal issues and play an extensive role in the drafting of legal documents.
- The Attorney is also responsible for directly handling complex legal matters and/or large-scale, high-risk projects. Attorney will contribute to and help implement the strategic initiatives of the IDN and be a member of the Legal Department's core leadership team. - Assists Privacy, Quality, Risk Management, Compliance, Health First Medical Group, the hospitals, the health plan, and other Health First entities in complying with codes, laws, rules, and regulations concerning patient care and safety, including those mandated by state and federal agencies, and investigation activities of federal, state, and local authorities.
- Assists with implementation of relevant statutes and regulations. including mandated mechanisms of monitoring.
- Assists in analyzing insurance requirements for all contract exposures.
- Directs activities of associates in the investigation and management of potential risks and subject insurance claims.
- Selects and monitors outside legal counsel as required.
- Implements new contracting review policy and creates document management system
- The Attorney is responsible to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel of Health First, Inc., and works closely with-various administrations and the Executive Team, Corporate and Defense Counsels, IT, Quality, Compliance Officers, Risk Management, HR, Privacy and Department Directors.
- Medical Staff\: The Attorney is responsible for attending hospital Medical Executive Committee and other meetings as requested; providing consultation and guidance to the Medical Staff office and the Vice Presidents of Medical Affairs regarding Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, medical staff and legal issues, credentialing, peer review, policies and procedures at each hospital facility.
- Board of Directors\: The Attorney may be responsible, as requested, for attending meetings of the various Boards of Directors/Trustees, committees and other Board functions in order to provide reports pertaining to legal activities and consultation relating to Board procedures, Bylaws, and other legal matters.
- Hospital Administration\: The Attorney is responsible for providing legal opinions and consultation to administration and departments regarding laws and regulations, hospital policy and procedures, employment and ethics issues.
- Health First and affiliated entities\: The Attorney is responsible for providing opinions, drafting and reviewing contracts, policies and procedures, responding to attorney inquiries, supporting complex transactions, advising on healthcare regulatory matters and tax matters, etc. Attorney is responsible for supervising the staff in a manner that causes staff to provide high quality service to internal client units.
- Contracting\: Reviews the work product of the paralegals as assigned. Reviews complex contracts and provides guidance to contract managers.
- The Attorney is expected to provide services on an efficient, cost effective basis, and to support the budgetary needs of the Legal Department.
- Researches and assists in the development and implementation of entity, departmental, and corporation policies and procedures.
- Supports leaders so that risks are minimized by investigating and acting on regulatory, subject insurance, and survey report recommendations/deficiencies.
- Assists with selecting and utilizing consulting services, brokers, and/or carriers as needed to manage risk modification and transfer processes
- Effectively manages and supervises staff.
- Supports the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel in other duties as assigned.
Qualification:- Juris Doctorate degree. - Member of the Florida Bar preferred and may be required - Florida Bar Board Certification in Health Law preferred. - Demonstrated experience in contract review and drafting required - Proficient in public speaking, conflict resolution, and problem solving. - Minimum of 5 years' legal experience in health care related field and/or compliance or regulatory programs. - Three to five years of supervisory experience preferred. - Proficient in Microsoft Office and other software as needed - Demonstrated knowledge of healthcare risk management statutes and rules preferred. - Health Care Compliance experience and/or certification preferred. - Demonstrated experience with regulations relating to Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration, Medicaid, and Medicare preferred
Internal Number: 229_033477
About Health First
Health First is Central Florida's only fully integrated health system. With a mission to positively change the health and wellness of the communities we serve, Health First offers the latest technological advances and quality care at our four hospitals and through our many Outpatient & Wellness Services, as well as the area's only Trauma and Heart Centers. Health First also offers multiple commercial and Medicare health plans, the largest multi-specialty physician group in Brevard County, and four fitness centers to help members of our community stay healthy.