A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
The inpatient pharmacy at Banner University Medical Center- Tucson, provides medications to patients in all areas of the hospital. We dispense approximately 3,000,000 doses of medication annually. We service a very acutely ill population and provide a high level of pharmacy services to our patients 24 hours a day. Our Pharmacy Technicians have the opportunity to work in an inpatient pharmacy supporting a busy Level 1 Trauma Center, assisting with filling medications, stocking shelves, taking inventory, and delivering medications to our nursing units. We are looking for candidates who are self-motivated, seeking opportunities to learn and grow in our unique pharmacy setting.
As a technician joining the team, you will become part of an elite professional group of technicians. You will have a high level of expertise and work alongside a very motivated team to provide first class service to our patients. We work in unison with outstanding pharmacists and a very dedicated nursing staff. You will learn robotics and electronic dosage preparation via our Box Picker and ATP automated medication dispenser. We have 95 (automated dispensing) Pyxis units distributed throughout the medical center, and you will become very familiar with Pyxis medication dispensing units. At BUMCT will have the opportunity to learn inpatient pharmacy operations to include, compounding procedures, IV preparation, and total parenteral nutrition compounding. In addition you will have the opportunity to interact with the nursing staff on about 25 nursing units as we provide first class service to our patients. This position is a Day/Eve rotation. This candidate is expected to work every other weekend, and rotating holidays.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patientcare, teaching future health-care professionals andconducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for itsspecialized pediatric services including neonatal andintensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies.Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is SouthernArizona's only Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we carefor the most critically injured patients. The hospital isconsistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in theprestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & WorldReport. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful carehas been recognized with Magnet (tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital'sphysicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty servicesinclude comprehensive heart and cancer care, advancedneuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplantprogram.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist. Performs routine duties in packaging, distribution and record keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Assists in preparing compounded and intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May work with the Pharmacist in processing physician orders for medications by entering information in to the medication management system in an unverified status. May educate, train, and oversee the activities of the Pharmacy Technician, Technician Externs and Volunteers. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Selects and/or prepares medications, under direct supervision, as indicated on the patient medication orders. Places medications in patient boxes or in designated area for pharmacist to check, sends/delivers medications to nursing units as required. May investigate missing medication requests.
2. Charges/credits patients for medications and intravenous solutions as appropriate. Restocks unused and credited returned medications. May also prepare the daily bank deposit and financial reports, maintain databases and troubleshoot automated technology malfunctions.
3. Attends to customers and answers telephones in a courteous and timely manner. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist. May also take requests for prescription refills and obtain necessary authorizations.
4. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through wholesaler and other vendors. Assesses practical ways to deal with shorted items and short-dated or unusable items.
5. Compounds specialty medication products. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of medications compounded and repackaged.
6. Assists in preparing and labeling of intravenous medications including total parenteral nutrition products and chemotherapeutic agents using proper sterile and aseptic technique. May perform quality control activities such as monthly nursing unit inspections and pharmacy section checks in a timely manner. Completes documentation on refrigerator temperatures, intravenous hood cleaning, and equipment maintenance activities as required.
7. May use automated dispensing technology or requisition to restock medications to nursing and ancillary areas after they are checked by a pharmacist. When allowed by law and policy, and upon completion of proper training/competency assessment, may restock automated dispensing technology using barcode scanning verification devices. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not be limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes. Adds users to the automatic dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies in automated dispensing technology.
8. In a Home Care setting: under the supervision of a pharmacist may assist with documentation, tracking reports, IV pump maintenance, medication delivery and documentation collection per current compliance standards.
9. Participates in the following aspects of medication use: selection, procurement and storage, and dispensing. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint commission, state Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure (where applicable) and active pharmacy technician certification OR Pharmacy Intern licensure in the state of practice. May be required to posses a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Pharmacy technician experience. Knowledge of medication management information system software and automated dispensing systems.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R274
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.