A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Take your career to the next level at Arizona's largest academic medical center in Phoenix, Arizona. The Department of Pharmacy Services at Banner University Medical Center provides state-of-the-art pharmaceutical service and patient care. The Department of Pharmacy employs approximately 120 employees; with a 1:1 ratio of pharmacists/technicians. The mission of our department is to promote positive patient outcomes by providing safe, high-quality and cost-effective pharmaceutical care to all patients, working collaboratively with other healthcare professionals, and to advance pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical knowledge through education, research, and innovation.
We are looking for a candidate who is interested in joining a new, dynamic, and innovative multidisciplinary team as an Associate Director of Pharmacy. Our team supports an active program which includes emergency care, transplant, NICU, OR, pharmacokinetics, anticoagulation, parenteral nutrition, renal dosing, sedation, and pain management. We also maintain affiliations with the University of Arizona and Midwestern University - Colleges of Pharmacy and have an active, ASHP accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program. The Associate Director of Pharmacy will be an integral part of the Banner Pharmacy of the Future and should possess a strong knowledge of process improvement methodology, human resource development, and the ability to implement and measure success. This is a Monday-Friday, salaried position, with some varied shift scheduling based on the needs of the business..
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Phoenix Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for providing managerial and programmatic direction for the operation of Pharmacy Services. Develops, budgets, standards of work performance and plans, directs, and monitors and evaluates the provision of distributive and clinical pharmacy services. Promotes and demonstrates effective inter-disciplinary and inter-facility collaboration and serves as facilitator for education, consultation, and research. Responsible for leading and overseeing the operational activities of the Department of Pharmacy Services. Ensures the functions of the department are consistent with the policies and procedures. May supervise activities that provide for the purchasing, receiving, storage, delivery, and distribution of medications and related supplies. Assures adequate departmental staffing according to workload while maintaining expected productivity levels. Supports implementation of clinical plans and helps to maintain information systems within the pharmacy. Develops standards of work performance, orientation and training programs. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served while maintaining the ideals of service excellence. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Responsible for all routine operations of Pharmacy Services. Participates in the recruitment, selection, orientation, professional development and evaluation of employees. Serves as a change agent, role model, and serves as facilitator for education, consultation, and research. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions
2. This position is accountable for an effective departmental operation within the budgetary constraints through the monitoring and controlling of expenses and through promotion of rational, cost-effective utilization of medication therapy.
3. Assists with development of goals, objectives, and programs for the pharmacy department consistent with those of the organization's overall strategic plan. Demonstrates effective inter-disciplinary and inter-facility collaboration. Plans efficient and effective utilization of resources. Ensures compliance with regulatory agency standards. Implements decisions of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and other hospital committees in relation to formulary management and process improvements. Assumes accountability for special projects as assigned.
4. Defines and resolves issues with the medication distribution system. Continually evaluates performance relative to need for improvement of processes to assure the safe and appropriate delivery of medications to all patient care areas. Provides leadership for development and implementation of innovative systems.
5. Provides leadership and direction to the pharmacy staff. Promotes positive relations and actively contributes to a supportive work environment. Fosters a team environment within the department and across the system. Communicates with their direct supervisor regarding personnel issues.
6. Helps to establish and revise, when necessary, standards of care for pharmacy practice. Monitors and ensures compliance with departmental and organizational policies and procedures, Federal and State laws, and regulatory agency standards. Investigates and initiates the resolution of customer complaints. Plans, supports, and leads Quality Improvement efforts for pharmacy services. Provides pharmacy representation and leadership on hospital and medical staff committees.
7. Serves as a professional resource in facilitating inter-disciplinary practice and communication.
8. This position participates in all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) ordering or prescribing, (3) dispensing, (4) administering and (5) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, State Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES DIRECTLY REPORTING Provides direct supervision exempt and non-exempt professional staff. MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING May provide indirect supervision to exempt and non-exempt professional staff. TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES This position has the authority of candidate selection, training & development, performance appraisals, work assignments, and disciplinary actions.
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, values, and purpose of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS IP - Typical Indirect Patient Care Environment: (CSPD Instrument Technician, Lab Technician, Pharmacist) Able to stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently. May be required to lift up to 75 pounds. Must use standard precautions due to threat of exposure to blood and body fluids. Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone. May require periodic to frequent use of personal computer. Off-site travel may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS A degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy. Requires current pharmacy licensure in the state of practice within 90 days of hire.
Pharmacy licensure. Banner Registry and Travel positions require licensure in the state of practice within 90 days from the date of hire.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must be able to use reference tools to evaluate patient care and answer questions posed by customers.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Advanced degree, Hospital Residency, or Master of Business Administration (MBA), or experience in hospital pharmacy with supervisory experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 12/17/2017
Internal Number: R3154
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.