A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
The University of Arizona Health Plans provides interesting job opportunities where you will learn something new each day. At UAHP, we work hard to improve the lives of our members. We believe in member-centric care and go above and beyond for our members.
UAHP is a team that works hard on providing the best care, while working cohesively to assure the needs of each member are being met. In addition, you have the opportunity to impact the care of one of the most needy, disadvantaged populations. You will have the opportunity to work with a strong leadership team that works hard to guide and help each one of their employees grow. The hours are M-F, 8a-5p, with some weekends(depending on the needs of the business) and some call.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner University Health Plans (BUHP) manage a variety of health plans. Our mission is to advance health and wellness through education, research and patient care. About Banner Health Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
POSITION SUMMARY This position supports the Pharmacy Department in processing pharmacy prior authorization (PA) requests in an accurate and timely manner. Clinical decision making is performed using approved guidelines. Supports the internal and external customers of the Health Plan including members, providers, contracted pharmacies, case managers, medical prior authorization staff, and the customer care staff by addressing issues pertaining to pharmacy and providing pharmacy data as requested. Performs ad hoc reporting on pharmacy claims data as requested. Responsible for performing activities and functions in accordance with policies and procedures under the immediate supervision of a pharmacy technician supervisor, a pharmacist, and/or medical director.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Processes and finalizes PA requests based on approved guidelines under the supervision of a pharmacist and/or a medical director: entering of PAs into the system and prioritizing requests; checking formulary alternatives, reviewing tried and failed medications; utilizing drug references and verifying the drug being requested is indicated/approved for the condition; documenting all related information regarding the PA approval or non-approval; monitors pending pharmacy prior authorization requests for compliance with regulatory timelines and contacts providers for requested information to avoid out of compliance decisions; respects and maintains highly confidential information as required by HIPAA.
2. Understands the formulary, member cost-sharing, and regulatory requirements, both AHCCCS and Medicare. Assures that pharmacy claims are adjudicating correctly. Maintains compliance with all regulatory requirements.
3. Communicates clearly and accurately with other healthcare professionals including internal personnel as well as individuals external to the organization. Assists internal and external customers with any pharmacy issues, investigates potential causes, and works to resolve issues in an efficient, comprehensive manner. Interacts with the pharmacy benefits management company to resolve any processing errors or system issues.
4. Provides reporting for internal and external customers including, but not limited to, member pharmacy claims history, CSPMP profiles, and pharmacy claims analysis.
5. Participates in the daily review of the Medicare denied claims report. Analyzes the reason for the denied claim and works with the pharmacy to resolve any processing issues. Outreaches to prescriber for prior authorization if indicated.
6. Participates in regulatory oversight including, but not limited to, audits, operational reviews, or ad hoc data requests.
7. Meets established departmental performance metrics for quality and productivity.
8. Works independently under regular supervision. Uses structured work procedures and independent judgment to solve problems and achieve high quality levels. Work output has a significant impact on business goal attainment. Customers include members, pharmacists, providers, non-physician providers, other health care team members, health plan representatives and medical office staff for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure in the state of practice (where applicable). Pharmacy technician certification required.
Must demonstrate 3 or more years of experience performing pharmacy technician duties in a pharmacy setting with managed care emphasis preferably within a healthcare organization or retail pharmacy. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must have the ability to learn and master various software programs necessary for job functions
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of medication management information system software and automated dispensing systems. Previous experience with Medicare, Medicaid or Long Term Care preferred
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Date Approved: 6/3/2018
Internal Number: R389
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.