You have a place in the health care industry. There's more to health care than IV bags and trauma rooms. We support all staff members as they find the path that is right for them. If you're looking to leverage your abilities - you belong at Banner Health. Apply today.
As a Sr POS Charge Specialist for Banner Alzheimer's Institute in Phoenix, AZ you will be responsible for billing and coding using our Clinical Trials Management system. A successful candidate will have at least 4 years of experience working in medical billing and coding environments with relevant knowledge of medical terminology and procedures. Experience with MedSeries4, NexGen, Microsoft Office software is preferred. Come put your skills and expertise to work by joining on our amazing team here at Banner Alzheimer's Institute in Phoenix, AZ!
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Alzheimer's Institute (BAI) was established in 2006 as Banner Health's first Center of Excellence. Banner Health is one of the largest nonprofit health care systems in the United States. Our team is uniquely, passionately and strategically committed to ending Alzheimer's without losing another generation and to providing an unparalleled model of care for families facing this devastating disease. BAI is committed to improving people's lives through excellent patient care and advances that capitalize on the best biomedical research. We intend to make a transformational difference in Alzheimer's research and care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position assigns appropriate billing codes for acute care, periop, or outpatient unit(s), clinic(s) or medical office(s) system-wide. Evaluates medical records, provider notes and dictation to determine appropriate procedure codes to assign to patient records and bills. Uses coding software and the company's Charge Description Master (CDM) to create billings and charges for insurers, government agencies and other payors. Researches coding for non-standard procedures and assigns codes in accordance with nationally recognized coding guidelines and company standards.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Audits daily error reports in both the coding and billing system and makes corrections. Matches, corrects and codes charges that do not drop to billing. Also responsible for working daily monitoring queries that capture errors prior to billing as well as individual requests from the CBO or HIMS. As assigned shares this information with clinical charging staff.
2. Reviews patient records, dictated report(s), physician/provider notes. Uses a standard listing of procedures/charge codes and/or an automated system with the company's programmed Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) for all commonly used Diagnosis Related Groups (DRGs).
3. Researches and assigns codes for non-standard procedures, supplies, equipment or materials.
4. Researches missing and incompatible records information supplied by medical staff, transcriptionists, suppliers and others. Assures that all appropriate items, procedures and services are recorded and appropriately billed. Acquires medical record completion as required by national coding standards.
5. Identifies opportunities for improvement in clinical documentation. Provides guidance and education for staff in billing procedures and electronic medical records usage procedures for coding and billing requirements. Maintains a current knowledge of procedural terminology requirements and provides staff with updated information on reimbursement charges and documentation requirements. As assigned, develops and provides education for physicians and staff.
6. Works with company finance and Charge Description Master (CDM) teams to develop and maintain coding and billing database information and with other point of service charging/coding staff to maintain consistency in practice. As assigned, shares this information with clinical charging staff.
7. Works as a member of the system team to provide services and achieve goals. As assigned, may manage supply chain functions, scheduling, provide patient services or administrative support.
8. Works independently under regular supervision. Researches complex billing issues and makes necessary corrections to achieve expected reimbursement. Uses structured work procedures and independent judgment to solve problems and achieve high quality levels. Work output has a significant impact on system business goal attainment. Customers include physicians, nurses, physician office staff, third party payors, central billing staff, staff from other departments and patients/patient families.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires a level of knowledge normally gained over four or more years of related work in the same type of clinical, medical office or acute care unit. Must be knowledgeable of medical terminology and current regulatory agency requirements for coding and charging for the assigned clinical area, and have a good understanding of reimbursement methodologies. Requires strong abilities in researching, reading, interpreting and communicating, as well as effective interpersonal skills, organizational skills and team working abilities.
Must be able to work effectively with common office software, coding and billing software, and the electronic medical records system.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding experience in a similar setting and Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) credentials preferred for some assignments.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R4835
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.