Find your path in health care. Banner Health is committed to not only providing the finest care possible, but to advancing the way care is provided. To achieve our vision, we seek out professionals who embrace change and who possess the passion and skills to make it happen. Apply today.
The HIMS Department at Banner Home Care and Hospice is responsible for the maintenance and preservation of confidential health records. HIMS analyzes medical records for quantitative and qualitative completion based on the facility's medical staff rules and regulations, company policy, and state, federal and other regulatory agency requirements. This department performs a variety of HIMS work, such as record completion, document imaging, release of information, and providing services and information to physicians and staff
As a Senior HIMS Clerk, you will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining all supporting documents required by government agencies and other insurance companies for appropriate reimbursement of all Banner Home Care and Hospice product lines. The position located in Gilbert, and the schedule is Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life
Ranked in the top 25 percent of all home care agencies in the United States, Banner Home Care is the largest nonprofit, free-standing home care agency in Arizona. We provide intermittent health care for patients of all ages in the comfort of their home. Our home care team is experienced, compassionate and professional, and the results prove that Banner Home Care measures better than the national and Arizona average in almost all Medicare Quality Compare patient satisfaction results. Banner Hospice have been providing comfort care for the past 10 years in the Phoenix Metro area. The goal is to support quality of life, honor the wishes of patients, maintain the dignity of the individual and support the family through their grieving process. Inpatient Home care is also available for respite care and symptom management. The Banner Hospice Team can provide comfort to the patient and family by alleviating symptoms, by providing meaningful help and by creating an environment to develop lasting final memories.
POSITION SUMMARY This position assists in the maintenance and preservation of confidential health records in accordance with specified regulatory agency requirements and is accountable for performing clerical and administrative functions to support operations of the Health Information Management department and to provide service to the department's customers.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Enters, tracks and maintains data in software application systems in a timely and accurate manner. Maintains department records by receiving, retrieving and charging out appropriately. Through broad searches/audits of databases, determines accuracy of medical record numbers and reconciles the database information in routine cases. Refers complex issues to leadership for resolution.
2. Assembles inpatient/outpatient medical records using pre-established software procedures and/or chart order. Processes and routes medical records to appropriate areas. May analyze records as needed or directed.
3. Greets and assists hospital personnel and the public, provides service by determining nature of visit and directing them to the appropriate area within the facility. This includes receiving, prioritizing and forwarding customer services inquiries via telephone to the appropriate party. Responds and answers to general customer service inquiries following established guidelines and procedures.
4. Processes and completes routine requests for information for continuing patient care purposes. Processes record requests for internal/external audits and reviews; monitors record activity for follow-up and communicates as appropriate with requestors. Directs all release of information inquiries from non-health care providers to external release of information vendor (or to appropriate internal staff) for processing. Refers inquiries of a sensitive nature to appropriate party and/or department.
5. Provides clerical and administrative support for HIMS department staff. These activities include assignments such as scanning medical records into database, conducting timely and accurate information collection, organization and distribution of the hybrid medical record that includes discharged patient records from nursing care units, maintaining productivity statistics, creating updated reports and performing audit trails to resolve hard to locate medical records. May be assigned to functions such as birth registration, research data documentation or other specialized clerical responsibilities.
6. Works under regular supervision and provides services using structured guidelines. Customers are primarily members of the medical staff and their office staff, insurance companies, attorney offices, other health care providers, patient and their families and hospital or clinic staff.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge with some additional training in areas related to the medical records field.
Requires the knowledge normally acquired over 6 or more months of work experience in a medical clerical, physician's office or other related field. Must demonstrate excellent customer service skills, strong organizational abilities, and be able to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
Requires good keyboarding skills and the ability to work effectively with common office software and databases.
Two or more years of previous HIMS experience or extensive health care clinical experience is strongly preferred. Knowledge of medical records software, filing and retrieval systems is preferred. Medical terminology strongly preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 05/06/2008
Internal Number: R9877
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.