POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients using the medication use process (selecting, prescribing, dispensing, administration and monitoring of medications). Performs comprehensive assessments and analysis of drug therapy in collaboration with patient care team members. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Oversees the activities of the pharmacy technicians, coordinating workflow and checking all medications prior to being dispensed. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Reviews medication orders and evaluates their appropriateness and completeness with respect to patient data including age, height, weight, diagnosis, laboratory values and other pertinent patient information. Contacts the prescriber with suggestions for improvement and resolves problems with the medication orders as needed. Documents resolutions and clinical interventions in the appropriate manner. Complies with directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee as it relates to formulary management. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions.
2. Utilizes clinical pharmacy skills in assessing and formulating recommendations to physicians ensuring positive patient outcomes, safety, quality and economical drug therapy. Participates in and supports decentralized pharmacist activities, when appropriate and where applicable and appropriate.
3. Reviews and verifies or enters orders into the medication management information system in an accurate and timely manner. Assures entries to the patient medication profile presents no significant problems in regard to drug interactions, incompatibilities, therapeutic duplications or patient safety.
4. Prepares and dispenses medications and IV solutions in an accurate and timely manner in compliance with company policies and procedures.
5. Supervises and directs work of pharmacy technicians and interns. Coordinates medication preparation and distribution work of the pharmacy technicians and ensures accuracy prior to dispensing medications for distribution.
6. Provides accurate, appropriate and timely information to physicians, nurses, patients and others regarding medication therapy, drug product guidelines, law and regulations, medication formulary and other topics related to medication use and control.
7. Ensures accurate records are being maintained. (e.g. audits, controlled substances, logs.)
8. In a Home Care setting: the clinician assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan through out the course of therapy. Documents in the patient clinical record all recommendations and interventions communicated to the physician. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications/IV solutions in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work according to literature guidelines. Completes all documentation associated with filling prescriptions and verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physician's agent. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcome is met. Therapy day and prescription information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely billing. Monitors patient response and documents interventions as appropriate. May assist in medication delivery and documentation collection per current compliance standards. May also be required to take after hours calls as needed.
9. Participates in all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) ordering or prescribing, (3) dispensing, (4) administering and (5) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, state Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy licensure in the applicable state of practice within 90 days of hire date.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must be able to use reference tools to evaluate patient care and answer questions posed by customers. May be required to possess a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy. Banner Registry and Travel positions require a minimum of one year experience in an acute care hospital setting. Experience must include working in an acute care setting within the past 12 months as a Pharmacist in the specialty area. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
Prefer hospital pharmacy experience.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.